Saturday, April 14, 2007

Deja vu all over again

Remember when I got the gusset done on my first Rock and Weave sock and then had to tear it out? Well, I've had to do it again. This time the reason was purely operator error that I did not detect until I could try on the sock. I knitted the heel flap over the wrong needles, positioning the cuff opening on the front of my ankle rather than the side. You can see the problem here. So it's ripped back to the cuff. Good thing this sock is a quick knit. This is much unlike the second Roza'a sock. I don't think I'll ever work a sock on size 0's again. It takes so long. Or perhaps I'll buy a different set. Mine are very long, over 8" and have blunt tips, making them clumsy to use.


On another note, the bodice of my Sahara is all done. I'm blocking it to see if it will fit as knitted before I add the sleeves. Really, I've blocked it to withing an inch of it's life to make the lace lie nicely and eliminate some unwanted negative ease. I should have a snap of it on my tomorrow with a verdict on it's future.
Knitting ambition is really getting the best of me. SNBWB is going up to The Fold next month. My mission will be to procure semi-solid colorways of Socks that Rock to make the Entrelac Socks by Eunny Jang from Interweave Knits. Before I start, I'd ask the entrelac gurus out there to give me some advice on sizing the socks. The pattern is designed for a woman much larger than me. As designed, the foot is to be a full inch longer than my own, and the leg will be 3" taller than appropriate for me. (I really possess no shins at all, just ankles fused directly to knees. The length between the top of my foot and the bottom of my knee less than 12" and I'm 5'3" tall.) I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to make the leg shorter, but what about the foot? Is there a way to make the circumference smaller as well?

2 comments:

Spincerely said...

Hello, I just want to let you know that one of the knitters on the Entrelac Socks KAL is trying for a smaller foot length by starting out with 5 stitch blocks instead of 6. I think that means that she doesn't have to increase out to the full amount of stitches before starting the entrelac, but some multiple that would work with the 5 stitch blocks. Anyway you can read about it here.
Good luck!

Emma said...

Those entrelac socks are gorgeous. They also sound like a challenging project. Good luck!