Thursday, January 03, 2008

Get into yarn dying?

I'm wondering if you yarn people who read this blog would help me out with a decision. I've been toying with an idea for about a year. The idea is to start a small dying and yarn goodies operation. I've become addicted to hand dyed sock yarn, and interested in doing it myself since the ladies at Froebe Fibers started up. Now I have time to think about this in real life.

I know my vision and my inspiration. I know what I want my wares to look like. I also know what I'm good at and what I need to learn. I have even found suppliers.

1. I want to sell hand-dyed sock yarn, a selection of hand-dyed fingering weight "luxury" yarns, and fancy-schmancy stitch markers.
2. I've seen yarns that are dyed the way I want. I just don't know what the technique is. I'd say Jitterbug is one that does it well, a someone monochromatic or shaded base with saturated flecks. I haven't been able to produce this with experiments. I think I need a book. Do you know a good one?
3. I am skilled at lampworking. Really. I made a living off of it for about a year once. I could make my own beads for the stitch markers.

What do you think? Seriously. Any suggestions or advice?

Time to start writing that business plan... (Did you think that my husband or I would do this without a written one?)

4 comments:

La Petite Tricoteuse said...

I think it is a great idea. You are at a perfect life/time to try something crazy, so I say go for it. If you need any testers/guinea pigs, I am your girl friday :-b My only bit of advice is to make sure that the colors don't bleed after knitting, but you knew that already.

Good luck.

Kris said...

Oh How Fun! I say go for it.

I think you should definitely set a written business plan. Even if it's just how, when, where stuff.

There are some pretty good tips from the Knitters Review you might be interested in reading..here is the link::
http://knittersreview.com/article_how_to.asp?article=/review/product/070830_a.asp

I'd say do some serious research before purchasing all your materials. Sometimes going with a low cost supplies will give you a better profit, but not necessarily a consistent product.

Mandy said...

I don't really have suggestions or advice, but I too think this sounds like a fine idea. :-D After all, life is an adventure and you don't want to get to the end and be thinking "what if..."

Anonymous said...

To avoid sounding redundant, I fourth the comments voiced above. :) And I'm available for testing.