Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Back to knitting

It's time for some kung-fu. I'll be making these socks Scottish-ish with a thistle cable pattern from Vogue Knitting Stitchionary, Vol. Two: Cables. Pattern 13 is a cute 15 stitch by 34 row textured thistle motif that I hope will show up nicely on this handpainted yarn. Whether it will or not is in doubt, but I'm going to put it on here anyhow.

The kung-fu is going to come from the fact that I need to rewrite this pattern. It's written for back and forth knitting, and I will be knitting it in the round. This is a cable, so there are crossed stitches all over the place. They'll have to be done backwards or upside down or some damn thing.

Expect to see cursing here tomorrow.

2 comments:

La Petite Tricoteuse said...

I am sending you good cable juju- you can do it!

Knitterary said...

This doesn't have to be a problem. Is the pattern aran-style or bavarian style? If it's aran-style (every other row is knit plain, no crossings), then it will be a piece of cake to adapt. Bring it tonight and we'll get you all set up.