Tuesday, May 06, 2008

A danger

I cannot go near my sofa the last two days. Not even to rescue my three active works in progress from one end of the couch. It's very sad. Just sitting over there are my Bayerische Socks which were recently rediscovered, my Cobweb shrug made of yummy yummy Malabrigo lace, and the sock for my buddy in the Hand Dyed Sock Swap. I miss these little guys, but I can't get near enough to them to pick them up and love them. I can't even get onto my couch. This is the culprit. It's a silk hankie I dyed in my Tyropoeon colorway. I started spinning it. Now every time I sit down to do anything, it leaps into my hands and steals my time. It is a monster.
I guess the good thing is that the spindle is about full. I just don't know how to get the yarn off and retain the twist.

1 comment:

Kris said...

oh baby...how lovely.

you have a couple of options when it comes to your single. You have to decide if you want it to become a double or triple ply. I think first starting out...go with a double.

Now...you can either get you some straws (yes, drinking straws) and slide this single onto it for storing, which works good if you have a Lazy Kate...or ply what you have on the spindle. My first one was done by plying with just the one.

The concept is to simply make a center pull ball onto your hand. Have the working end sticking out so you can access it easily, while unwrapping the single around your fingers. Once it's all off the spindle, then you'll take both ends and hook that onto your spindle. Turning the spindle in the opposite direction will ply the two together. Gather the same twist you did to create the single and before you know it you've got your first little skein.