Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Changing focus

I've knitted a lot of socks lately, and I have purchased a great deal of sock yarn. I do indeed love hand knitted socks, now that I've made them. I have small, narrow feet with monkey toes (as you've seen). Most store bought socks bunch, twist, and otherwise misbehave on my feet. Furthermore, my feet are cold and clammy most of the time. (yes, I know you always wanted to know that). Knitting my own socks out of carefully selected fibers is solving those problems, and I am learning the joy that socks can bring for the first time in my life. If you're a knitter and haven't tried it, I think you should.

I didn't take part in the Summer of Socks, as some of my knitting buddies have. But I'm getting burned out on them. So I picked up my Green Tree Raglan the other day. It's coming along.

I'm changing career focus lately as well. My job as grant writer was a very satisfying one, but if you know Chicago politics, working for the town I did was nuts. But I did some good. I got at least $250,000 for the town and its residents in less than one year. One very stressful year. It really was like working as a director of development at another organization for at least twice as long. Unfortunately, the long hours and chaos wrecked my health. I'm recovering now.

Work at the gigantic corporate entity is wrapping up shortly. Technically, I am not even an employee there, so I don't know if I can get unemployment when the work is done. However, I'm buoyed by the fact that I've made a lot of money, that the work is low stress, and that headhunters are hunting my head right now. Aggressively. I have decided to return to corporate work in the short term. I will go back to nonprofit work soon enough. After all, that is what my master's degree will be in.

Ok, all of you. You've been found out. You know who you are, and you are all "Gentleman." This post is for you, because I know that all of you are reading this to find out what I'm up to. Keep it up, if you want. Especially if you want to knit.

1 comment:

Knitterary said...

Yep. Totally burned out on socks. Good luck with the job situation.