Monday, April 26, 2010

Knitting blog week day 1: Staring out.

Today is day one of Knitting and Crochet Blog Week. Eskimimi Knits organized this week to help knitters share and discuss a number of yarny related subjects. As this blog purports to be about yarn induced mishegas, I feel the need to take part. Today's topic is how we got started with this obsession hobby.

How and when did you begin knitting/crocheting? was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?

I suppose my yarn issues began as the result of the perfect storm of all the mentioned factors. My grandma crocheted. A lot. And she had 5 granddaughters and attempted to teach us all the craft when we were small children. I believe three of us do still crochet. I will neither confirm nor deny whether I am one of the crocheters, but being around so many yarn fumes at a formative age definitely sowed the seeds of my current knitting vocation

As a result of grandma's encouragement to learn crafts, I have learned many. Just ask the Amazing E about that. I've got stuff for pottery, glass working, and yarn strewn about the house at all times. And that's just the crafts I do currently and regularly. It seems it was inevitable that I would eventually learn knitting. Knitting has a lot of benefits that my other crafts do not. It does not require expensive equipment nor indoor pyrotechnics to accomplish, for example.

I learned to knit on Christmas Day, 2004. Yep, all of my extensive knitting expertise has been acquired in the last 5 years. I learned from my sister, whom I will refer here to as "Cheeez." (She keeps rather anonymous on the Internet, and I'll respect that here.) Cheeez is a self-taught-from-a-book knitter. Anyway, Cheeez took me out to a LYS for the first time and helped me by my first nice yarn and pair of pointy sticks so I could make a scarf for my friend. Within a week, I had a scarf and a new hobby.

So thanks to my grandma and to Cheeez for getting me into yarn.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Oh yeah, I can see the yarn fumes taking root;)