Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Speculation

Pregnancy isn't always fun. I mean, the anticipation of a little one is very exciting, and the miracle of having another person growing inside me blows my mind. But the nausea, aches, sleep interruptions, and other discomforts you don't want to hear about tend to get me down.

But there is one part I find completely hilarious. It's the "what kind is it?" guessing. The Amazing E and I are waiting until our Chick is born to find out the sex of the baby. We figure there are very few genuine pleasant surprises in life, and this situation is one of them. So we're happy to wait. Some others, however, are not so patient. Indeed, many people are absolutely shocked that we're not taking advantage of the technology to find out. So in their curiosity they try to guess. And it's just hilarious to me.

So let's see? What do the Old Wives Tales tell us about "what kind it is?"

1. One story goes that if the fetal heart rate is above 140, it is a girl. According to the doctor this morning, The Chick's heart is beating 145 times a minute. So we're having a GIRL.

2. Some other people say that carrying the baby high, it's a girl. If it's low and around the hips, it's a boy. Well, my belly isn't big, but so far the baby feels like it's sitting pretty low. So we're having a BOY.

3. Then there's the acne test. Sorry to say, but I have acne. So it must be a GIRL.

4. One friend told me that since I have cravings for spicy meat, it must me a BOY.

5. But the same friend also said that if I still like my husband while I'm pregnant, we're having a GIRL.

6. 71% of the time the mommy guesses right. I think we're having a GIRL.

7. Apparently the baby effects the growth of leg hair. They, whoever they are, say that if your leg hair grows faster it's a boy. It might be TMI, but mine is growing just the same. And I hope our GIRL doesn't get cursed with fast growing leg hair.

8. I dropped the mac 'n cheese right on the floor yesterday. Clumsiness is supposed to be a sign of a BOY.

9. I just put my wedding ring on an string and held it over my belly. It swung in a circle rather than back and forth. This would indicate a BOY.

10. Lastly, my favorite one. Craving chocolate is a sign of a GIRL. I must be destined to have only GIRLS forever.

7 comments:

Mandy said...

I don't know about that clumsiness thing. I have always been clumsy so it is hard to say if it is worse or not. Most old wives' tales are pointing to girl for me. I'm not finding out either, but my mom is convinced she is going to have a granddaughter! She is also convinced their next door neighbor is having a boy from how she is carrying. I told her I'm going to laugh if she is completely wrong and I have a boy and the neighbors have a girl. You forgot the nausea one too. It is supposed to be worse with girls, so I think that is pointing you in the GIRL direction too.

Kate Linnea Welsh said...

Huh. FWIW, my gut feeling is that you're having a girl.

MarthaH said...

What a great post. I love it that you are waiting until "its" birth to know what "it" is. I love surprises, myself, so I have never gotten the "I must know what's in there" attitudes.

ibcmeir said...

Next time you come to TS we can tie a Yod to a string and see which direction if will pitch and point. I don't know that it will tell us anything, but it will be funny telling your grand-kids about this one day...

lusciousluka said...

This is the funniest pregnancy blog ever. I'm completely amused. :) I hope you have a healthy baby, since really, that's all the matters!

Anonymous said...

worked for me!

Anonymous said...

the chocolate thing worked for me!!