Wednesday, January 06, 2016

I'd Thought It was the End, but Jeremy Clark-Erskine is Back in the News

I'd sort of figured that last post was the last of the blog, finishing up that Rheingold wrap after six years and becoming a suburban mom.

Maybe not so much.

So yes, in 2006, after he'd escaped from prison in Indiana, I met Erskine in the Chicago area and dated him for a few weeks.  I let him into my home and he must have used any small amount of time I spent taking a potty break or any other thing taking documents and credit cards out of my desk.  He spent thousands of dollars on my credit cards in just a week or two and stole my car when I became suddenly and mysteriously ill enough to need to be hospitalized.  I still don't know if it was coincidence or not.

Late last year I got some more emails and comments to this blog asking for updates on Jeremy Clark-Erskine's whereabouts.  There wasn't much to say.  He served out his last sentence and was released in November, 2015.  As far as I knew, he still owed the fine State of Indiana, who has allowed him to escape jail twice, some time on forgery and escape there, but for whatever reason they didn't take him back like they could have.

What have I been doing?  Sitting around knitting and trying to take care of my kids.  It's not easy lately.  You see, I've developed a pretty nasty complication of my Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.  It's cervical medullary syndrome and a really bad case of altantoaxial instability.  The first two vertebrae at the top of my spine are coming apart so badly that it blocks blood flow through my vertebral arteries when I turn my head.  It's also putting pressure on the top of my spinal cord and giving me trouble with important things like swallowing and regulating my blood pressure and heart rate.  My body sort of can't do those things anymore well.

Right now I'm waiting for surgery at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, MD.  They have some really good neurosurgeons there who know how to do this operation because aside from suburban moms with EDS (or rheumatoid arthritis), other people who get atlantoaxial instability are guys who have been blown up or in crashes.  Walter Reed is also home a major amputee center and where our most seriously injured combat veterans are sent for treatment.  My family also gets our general medical care there because The Amazing E is an active duty service member and stationed in the area.  I bring my kids to Walter Reed for their sore throats and other owies and see, every single time, dozens of men and women who have been blown up in service to the United States.  I'm in a lot of pain, and pretty disabled right now.  My surgery has been delayed because the neurosurgeon who was going to do it got deployed to Afghanistan and we had to get the other neurosurgeon up to speed on my case.  I'm still waiting, hoping for my turn in an OR at Walter Reed.

And I got a phone call today.  It was from a reporter in New York.  Erskine has been arrested again. He'd been out of jail for less than 2 months.  I'm told that when he was arrested, he was posing as a wounded warrior and hoping to profit from it.  His car had Purple Heart plates.


It sticks in my craw.  I don't know what exactly he's being charged with this time, but perhaps they'll find a way to not cut any deals, throw the book at him, and to keep him in jail forever. 





No comments: