Friday, June 25, 2010

A new adventure in the Bag o' Crap

What was it, three years ago that I swore off the Bag o' Crap yarn sales? This was after I got burned by the Cherry Tree Hill annual sales of Bags 'o Crap. After purchasing their yarn grab bags to expand my stash on the cheap, they sent me two really lousy ones in a row. By that I mean that I got 5 pounds or so of yarn made of shredded Muppets. I still have that yarn and now believe that I will eventually use it to make stuffed animals for children.

And then last week came an ad for 2.5 pound Bag's o' Crap from Dontbuynewyarn.com. They are an offshoot of Cherry Tree Hill. The bag was advertised to contain over a kilogram of discontinued Classic Elite yarn for $25. At the retail price of Classic Elite, I thought I'd only need something like three good skeins that I can actually use to get my money's worth. So I threw caution to the wind and ordered one.

Today my Classic Elite Bag o' Crap arrived.I am impressed. Really. I like more than half of this stuff. Not all of it is labeled, but I seem to have gotten:
  • Some patterns I am totally uninterested in.
  • Two skeins of Minnie. This can make a nice scarf.
  • Four skeins of LuLu. It sucks. Something had to.
  • Two skeins of something I cannot identify. It's at least aran weight and 8 or 10 plies of several colors. But it's soft.
  • Two skeins of a very springy 100% wool in a cream color. It says "Remateks" with the numbers 3238 and 7202. It's nice.
  • 4 skeins of what I believe to be Bubbles in two colors. Not bad.
  • Two skeins of BamBoo in pink. it's nice and I'll certainly do something with it.
  • Two skeins of Fame in different colors.
  • Two skeins of Classic Silk. This is the real highlight. I was already planning on getting more and doing a striped sweatshirt type thing out of it. Now I have a head start

No comments: